Home > Client Technologies > What do you call that small white square icon in Expression Blend?

What do you call that small white square icon in Expression Blend?

September 6, 2009

Expression Blend property peg

A question to all users of Expression Blend:

What do you call that small white square icon? The one that is also yellow when bound to a property and disabled when not available?

I believe we need a name for it if we’re going to properly communicate.  Looking through the Blend User Guide, I’ve found instances where they use the long form “Advanced property options” followed by the appropriate colored square icon (□).  That’s long though and difficult to say, type or tap out on a touch screen keyboard.

I’m going to go with Property Peg or just Peg, for short.

What do you think?

Please tweet this or email your co-workers. I’d love to hear what other people call it.

  1. Pete
    September 6, 2009 at 3:10 am

    The “way-too-smallicon” the “makes-me-remember-a-color-rather-than-using-a-true-icon-icon” or how about the “hey-I-didn’t-realize-that’s-a-menu spot” the “confusicon” (or “decepticon” ) ?Seriously, I think that little peg is the worst design aspect of Blend. Not only does it have a super tiny hit area, but you have to memorize colors. It’s like elevators that have two squares side by size, a red one and a white one. You have to remember that white is up and red is down, when arrows or different positioning would have eliminated that little mental exercise.Blend is great, but I’d like to see something else done with that peg. Unfortunately, I don’t know what that “something else” should be :)Pete

  2. September 6, 2009 at 3:11 am

    I like it! Peg sounds like a perfect name for that.Much better than “the little dot that holds all the magic powers” that I usually call it when walking people through Blend. 😉

  3. September 6, 2009 at 3:23 am


  4. September 6, 2009 at 3:26 am

    It’s not the size that counts. Its what you do with it!

  5. September 6, 2009 at 3:42 am

    Actually the more I think about it the more I like Property Peg .Other ideasProperty Pad

  6. September 6, 2009 at 3:54 am

    Great comments so far, perfect light night weekend conversation!

  7. September 6, 2009 at 4:05 am

    I like “Property Peg” or just “Peg” for short. I had been calling it the “Pimple”, tongue in cheek in presentations. 🙂

  8. Ken
    September 6, 2009 at 4:25 am

    With the confusion it has caused for so many it would probably be best to name it “A Mistake”. In many places where it is used there is ample space to just spell out “More”.The best thing to do is going back to the drawing board on this one. Maybe ask Corrina for an idea or two and come up with something new in the next version (or better yet the next service pack). Even a small gray box with “…” in it would provide a better trigger.Ken

  9. September 6, 2009 at 4:35 am

    It’s icon we put there to really test if Hick’s & Fitt’s Law can be measured :)I like Peg. Adam, you are a leader and i’m one of your followers.-Scott BarnesRich Platforms Product Manager#1 Fan of Adam KinneyMicrosoft.

  10. Jose Fajardo
    September 6, 2009 at 4:38 am

    Isn’t it called a chevron ?

  11. September 6, 2009 at 7:58 am

    I like ‘peg’… not sure I’ve ever given it a name, just tend to waggle a finger at it “now click the… *waggles finger* to set the binding” – or similarIt could probably stand to be a little bigger, or maybe as an alternative a CTRL+click on the whole property. Have no trouble remembering colours though

  12. Ian Smith
    September 6, 2009 at 8:54 am

    Been wondering what to call that myself. Love “peg” (short) and “property peg” (long) and will use both in future.

  13. September 6, 2009 at 2:59 pm

    I usually call it “that stupid little advanced properties thing”, sometimes with more colourful language 🙂

  14. September 6, 2009 at 3:09 pm

    Property Peg is an exellent choice!

  15. September 6, 2009 at 5:12 pm

    I’m going with Interdimensional Multiplexer.

  16. September 6, 2009 at 7:14 pm

    I’m not sure “peg” is the right word but english is not my mother tongue, but translations in French seem to be a bit far from what I think about this little square function.So why not something simpler that all users (not being English spoken) can easily understand ? Something like “Option Square”.Simple, the word say what it does (option) and what it is looking to (a square).What about the “Option square” so ?

  17. Valentin Stoychev
    September 7, 2009 at 7:32 pm

    “peg” sounds good to me too 🙂

  18. Burton
    September 8, 2009 at 1:13 am

    How about “binding box”?

  19. September 8, 2009 at 2:47 am

    Ha. I’ve seriously called it “the tiny clickable property thingy” for a while. Property peg is nice. I’ll use it from now on.

  20. wekempf
    September 8, 2009 at 1:06 pm

    No, it’s not a chevron: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chevron.Peg works, but considering how much people are indicating dislike here, maybe pimple is better ;).

  21. September 8, 2009 at 7:21 pm

    I call it “Why the heck can’t I just right-click here to get the context menu instead like all other apps does it” icon.

  22. September 9, 2009 at 2:15 am

    In the Silverlight 1.0 book I referred to it as the “Marker”. It’s a term that was used in the Blend Help so I went with it. But, the term didn’t stick with me, and I had to look it up just now for this comment.

  23. Liam J. Hayter
    September 9, 2009 at 4:27 pm

    I’ve always referred to it as a “Niblett”Dunno how, or why, it just seems right to me 😀

  24. Unni Ravindranathan - MSFT
    September 12, 2009 at 9:20 pm

    FWIW – when I was working on this feature, it was called the “Property Marker”, but’s that’s so yesterday 🙂

  25. September 17, 2009 at 6:50 am

    Property Peg is soild. I will start using that starting after your SLFS Talk.Long live the Property Peg

  26. Gloer
    September 19, 2009 at 10:20 pm

    It kind of sort of, but not really, like the Office Fluent Launcher (aka Dialog Box Launcher)? Office’s launcher doesn’t try to convey any state.


    • September 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm

      True, it is similiar and sets some precedant for the tiny square button interface. Although it is still tiny, peg-ish and could be larger.

  27. September 21, 2009 at 12:10 pm

    I call it “The Nub”

  1. No trackbacks yet.
Comments are closed.
%d bloggers like this: